Make Your Own Ginger Ale

By The Petite Plantation - April 06, 2017


Recently I have learned to make my own SCOBY so I have an endless supply of kombucha around the house. But even more recently, I've opted for home brewed ginger ale made from ginger bug. One of our goals in our plan to move off grid, build a small home and homestead is to learn to be more self-reliant. So this is just another step towards our dream; a tasty step.

And I'm not talking about the sugar loaded ginger ale you buy at the grocery store, I'm talking about the real stuff. The probiotic, wild yeast, fermented soda that actually has health benefits, ya'll! It even tastes better than the stuff that comes in green tinted bottles.

Health Benefits of Ginger!


Ginger has many health benefits when it isn't even fermented! It can reduce nausea, gas and inflammation, fight bad breath bacteria, aids in weight loss, clears skin, improves circulation, fights infections, and can relax muscle cramps! And, when ginger is fermented into a probiotic ginger bug, the health benefits just get better!


How Make Ginger Ale!


Before you get started, you'll need a healthy ginger bug. Don't fret, here is a link to make your own! Once it is bubbly and active, you are all set to make your own ginger ale!

I make my ginger ale in two parts, hot and cold, so I don't kill the ginger bug's bacteria. Otherwise, you could end up with a ginger.... juice! 

Measure out 8 cups of water and let it sit on the counter for an hour to de-chlorinate. If you don't have chlorine in your water, skip this step! 

Now let's get started! Place 3 cups of water, 1/2 cup of sugar and 1/4 cup of minced ginger into a small pot and bring to a boil for 5 minutes.


In another bowl, combine 5 cups of water, 1/2 cup lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of salt. Pour in your boiled mixture and combine well. Ensure it is not hot and add 1/2 cup of ginger bug (include some original ginger and juice) and gently combine. 

Your ginger ale is ready to bottle! I leave my bottles on the counter for about three days, burping the first and second day. I don't burp it the third day when I place it in the refrigerator so it is nice and fizzy when I am ready to drink it!


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 Comments